Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Look At The Beatitudes

1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Poor in spirit, but not poor in pocket. It’s all about career and making as much money as we can. Owning a cool car and a cellular phone with all the gadgets. Being a winner. Not practical today.

2. Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.
Not when you consider terrorism and the threat to our national interests. Not practical today. We need a strong national defense and that doesn’t include being meek.

3. Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
OK, I can do this one. But only those who I personally know.

4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.
Once again, as long as it doesn’t conflict with our national interests. Justice is hunting down and killing terrorists. Justice today is winning a big lawsuit and getting lots of money out of it. Justice is sticking it to the person who wronged you on reality TV.

5. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Does mercy mean we can’t kill our enemies? Even if they want to kill us? They don’t show any mercy, why should we.

6. Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. I’m a good person, I go to church. My friends like me. I like them. I guess I’m clean of heart. Aren’t I? Will I see God?

7. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. We are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan for peace and democracy. We must be peacemakers. The Jews used to be God’s children, but now we are. Because we’re right.

8. Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. I guess that means all the Third World people who are suffering persecution will go to heaven. What about us?

Just some of my own stupid and childish thoughts. I don’t know why I even put them down on paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment